1962 B.S. in Physics, Peking University
1968 Ph.D. in Optical Materials, Fujian Institute of Research on the Structure, Chinese Academy of Sciences
1977-1997 Professor, Fujian Institute of Research on the Structure, Chinese Academy of Sciences
1976 Proposed Nonlinear Optical (NLO) active group theory
1980 Discovered a new NLO crystals β-BaB2O4 (BBO)
1990 Fellow of the Third World Academy of Sciences
1998 Professor, Technical Institute of Physics and Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences
2002 Developed the KBe2BO3F2- Prism-Coupled Device (KBBF-PCD)
2003 Academician, Chinese Academy of Sciences
2006 Developed Vacuum ultraviolet laser Angle resolution photoelectron spectrometer
2008 Observed a new Electron coupled model under in high-temperature superconductor
Honors and Awards:
1986 Special prize of CAS S&T Progress Award
1987 Third World Academy of Sciences Award for Chemistry
1988 Tan Kah Kee science award foundation
1991 First prize of the National Invention Award
2007 Qiu Shi science & Technologies Foundation
2008 First prize of Beijing technology
Non-linear Optical Crystal
KBe2BO3F2- Prism-Coupled Device (KBBF-PCD)
Selected Recent Publications：
1. C. T. Chen, “An Ionic Grouping Theory of the Electro-Optical and Nonlinear Optical Effects of Crystals (I)”, Act.Phys, Sinica 25(2) (1976) 146-161.
2. C. T. Chen, “A Localized Quantum Theoretical Treatment, Based on an Anionic Coordination Polyhedron Model, for the EO and SHG Effects in Crystals of the Mixed-Oxide types”, Sci. Sin. 22 (1979), 756-766.
3. C. T. Chen, W. B. Chang, A. D. Jiang, G. M. You, “A new Ultraviolet SHG Crystal-BaB2O4”, Sci. Sin. B28 (1985), 235-243.
4. C. T. Chen, Y. C. Wu, A. D. Jiang, B. C. Wu, G. M. You, R. K. Li, and S. J. Lin, “New Nonlinear Optical crystal: LiB3O5”, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 6(4) (1989), 616-621.
5. C. T. Chen, Vol.15. Development of New Nonlinear Optical Crystals in the Borate Series, Laser Science and Technology ,an International Handbook, edited by V. S. Letokhov, C. V.Shank,Y. R. Shen. and H. Walther (1993) (harwood academic publishers).89
6. C. T. Chen, Y. Wang, Y. Xia, B. C. Wu, D. Y. Tang, K. Wu, W. Zeng, L. H. Yu, "New development of nonlinear optical crystals for the ultraviolet region with molecular engineering approach", J. Appl. Phys. 77(6), 2268-2272(1995).
7. C. T. Chen, Y. Wang, B. C. Wu, K. Wu, W. Zeng, L. H. Yu, "Design and Synthesis of an Ultraviolet-Transparent Nonlinear Optical Crystal Sr2Be2B2O7", Nature, 373, 322-324 (1995).
8. C. T. Chen, J. H. Lu, T. Togashi, T. Suganuma, T. Sekikawa, S. Watanabe, Z. Xu, J. Wang, "Second-harmonic generation from a KBe2BO3F2 crystal in the deep ultraviolet", Opt.Lett. 27(8), 637-639, (2002).9. T. Togashi, T. Kanai, T. Sekikawa, S. Watanabe, and C. T. Chen, C. Zhang, Z. Xu, J. Wang, "Generation of vacuum-ultraviolet light by an optically contacted, prism-coupled KBe2BO3F2 crystal", Opt. Lett. 28(4), 254-256 (2003).