Name: LIU Jing
LIU Jing, male, born in April 1969. Since July 1999, he has served as researcher, double-employed researcher and director of Beijing Key Laboratory of Cryogenic Biomedical Engineering of Technical Institute of Physics and Chemistry of Chinese Academy of Sciences; professor of Biomedical Engineering at School of Medicine Tsinghua University in August 2008. Liu got his B. Eng. in Gas Turbine and B. Eng. in Modern Applied Physics (July 1992) and Ph. D. degree in Thermophysics (February 1996) from Tsinghua University and graduated from Senior Manager Selected Courses in Business Administration School of Economics and Management (2003.04 - 2005.05) in Tsinghua University. He used to be a teaching assistant and lecturer in Department of Thermal Engineering of Tsinghua University and work as Postdoc at Purdue University and senior visiting scholar at MIT. He got National Outstanding Youth Science Foundation in 2003 and won the China Youth Science and Technology Award, Mao Yisheng Science and Technology Award - Beijing Youth Science and Technology Award, the only best paper award of Journal of Electronic Packaging, American Society of Mechanical Engineers of the year, etc.
LIU has published 9 original interdisciplinary frontier books, of which all have important influences, one of which has been printed 5 times (including traditional Chinese characters); 15 invited articles, more than 300 journal papers and more than 80 papers in international conferences have been published. He has also applied for more than 100 invention patents (more than 60 authorized).
1. Chip cooling and enhanced heat transfer technology
2. Biological heat and mass transfer (cryogenic biomedicine, tumor hyperthermia physics)
3. Micro/nanoscale heat transfer and fluid technology
4. Room temperature fluid metal printing electronics
5. Advanced energy capture and power generation technology
6. Biomedical technology and instruments
Pioneering work has been done in the forefront of engineering thermophysics and biomedical engineering. The former, around the world-class problem of high-end chips seriously subject to the "thermal barrier", Liu breakthroughs to propose a major original innovative room temperature liquid metal thermal management method, and promote the formation and development of the theory and technology system in this field. The development of a new range of room temperature liquid metal printed electronics is expected to change the rules of traditional electronics and integrated circuit manufacturing. In the field of bio-heat transfer, he has carried out long-term systematic and in-depth innovation research and academic promotion, made important contributions to the establishment of a relatively complete academic system from low temperature to high temperature biomedical engineering, and proposed nano cryotherapy, alkali metal thermochemistry, ablation method and other orientations. In the field of general health technology, he proposed to completely deploy low-cost medical strategies from the national level, published the world’s first low-cost medical and mobile biomedical engineering frontier works and built a corresponding academic system, which is really impactful. In the promotion of major practical technologies, he has developed a variety of leading equipments. CPU liquid metal radiators have been produced into serialized products; high-end hot and cold knife medical equipment for cancer treatment as a large-scale industrialization project is transferred to enterprise; series wireless mobile medical products are validated by SFDA, etc.
Awards and Honors:
1. Excellent Supervisor or Teacher Prize of CAS for 5 times.
2. The only best paper award of Journal of Electronic Packaging, ASME (2010 – 2011)
3. First Class Prize of Beijing Technology Market Golden Bridge Awards Project (2011)
4. China International Industry Expo Innovation Award (2008)
5. Mao Yisheng Science and Technology Award – Beijing Youth Science and Technology Award (2008)
6. National Youth Science and Technology Award (2007)
7. Best Poster Award of 22nd International Congress of Refrigeration (2007)
8. National Outstanding Youth Science Foundation (2003)
9. Double-hired Professor of Tsinghua University (2005)
LIU has cultivated 46 master and doctoral students and 24 undergraduate graduation thesis, among which 19 have won the CAS-level and Tsinghua University-level scholarships, national scholarship and competition awards. Five students have been selected as national outstanding doctoral thesis nominations, and CAS outstanding doctoral thesis award or nomination; 4 of the graduate students became professors or researchers.
1. Liu Jing, Yu Yang, Liu Lin, Biomedical Engineering on Mobile Platforms: Principles and Applications, Beijing: Science Press, 2011 (In Chinese)
2. Liu Jing, Rao Wei, Jia Dewei, Advanced Low-Cost Medical Technology, Beijing: Science Press, 2010 (In Chinese)
3. Liu Jing, Deng Yueguang, Jia Dewei, Ultra-Conventional Energy Technology, Beijing: Science Press, 2010 (In Chinese)
4. Liu Jing, Deng Zhongshan, Tumor Hyperthermia Physics, Beijing: Science Press, 2008 (In Chinese)
5. Liu Jing, Thermal Microsystems Technology, Beijing: Science Press, 2008 (In Chinese)
6. Liu Jing, Principles of Cryogenic Biomedical Engineering, Beijing: Science Press, 2007 (In Chinese)
7. Liu Jing, Micro/Nanoscale Heat Transfer, Beijing: Science Press, 2001 (5th Printing) (In Chinese)
8. Liu Jing, Physical Thermal Methods and Applications of SARS Medicine, Beijing: Science Press, 2004 (In Chinese)
9. Liu Jing, Biological Heat Transfer, Beijing: Science Press, 1997 (In Chinese)
10. Y. Zheng, Z. Z. He, Y. X. Gao, J Liu*, Direct desktop Printed-Circuits-on-Paper flexible electronics. Scientific Report, vol. 3, 1786, 2013.
11. Y. Yu, J. Zhang, J. Liu*, Biomedical implementation of liquid metal ink as drawable ECG electrode and skin circuit, PLoS ONE, vol. 8(3), pp. e58771, 2013
12. Q. Zhang, J. Liu*, Nano liquid metal as an emerging functional material in energy management, conversion and storage, Nano Energy, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nanoen.2013.03.002, 2013 (Invited Article).
13. S. F. Mei, Y. X. Gao, H. Y. Li, Z. S. Deng, and J. Liu*, Thermally induced porous structures in printed gallium coating to make transparent conductive film, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 102, pp. 041509, 2013.
14. H. S. Ge, J. Liu*, Keeping smartphones cool with gallium phase change material, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, 135: 054503, 2013.
15. Y. G. Deng, J. Liu*, Optimization and evaluation of a high performance liquid metal CPU cooling product, IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, 2013.
16. H. S. Ge, H. Y. Li, S. F. Mei, J. Liu*, Low melting point liquid metal as a new class of phase change material: An emerging frontier in energy area, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 21, pp. 331-346, 2013.
17. H. Y. Li, Y. Yang, and J. Liu*, Printable tiny thermocouple by liquid metal gallium and its matching metal, Applied Physics Letters, vol.101, pp. 073511, 2012.
18. Y. X. Gao, H. Y. Li and J. Liu*, Direct writing of flexible electronics through room temperature liquid metal ink, PLoS ONE, vol.7(9), pp. e45485(10 pages), 2012.
19. D.-R. Di, Z.-Z. He, Z.-Q. Sun, and J. Liu*, A new nano-cryosurgical modality for tumor treatment using biodegradable MgO nanoparticles, Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine, vol.8, pp. 1233-1241, 2012 (Feature Article, Cover Article, Back Cover Article).
20. Z. Sun，Y. Yang，J. Liu*, In vivo experiments and numerical investigations on nanocryosurgical freezing of target tissues with large blood Vessels, Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology, 8(1), pp. 1-9, 2012.
21. D. Dai, J. Liu*, Human powered wireless charger for low-power mobile electronic devices, IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, vol.58(3), pp. 767-774, 2012.
22. Q. Zhang, Y. Zheng, J. Liu*, Direct writing of electronics based on alloy and metal ink (DREAM Ink): A newly emerging area and its impact on energy, environment and health sciences, Frontiers in Energy, vol.6(4), pp. 311-340, 2012 (Invited Feature Article).
23. D. Jia., W. Rao, C. Wang, C. Jin, S. Wang, D. Chen, M. Zhang, J. Guo, Z. Chang, J. Liu*, Inhibition of B16 murine melanoma metastasis and enhancement of immunity by fever-range whole body hyperthermia, International Journal of Hyperthermia, vol.27, pp. 275-285, 2011. (Cover Article)
24. J. Xiao, Z.Z. He, Y. Yang, B.W. Chen, Z.S. Deng, J. Liu*, Investigation on three-dimensional temperature field of human knee considering anatomical structure, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 54, pp. 1851–60, 2011.
25. P. Li and Jing Liu*. Harvesting low grade heat to generate electricity with thermosyphon effect of room temperature liquid metal, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 99, 094106, 2011.
26. Y. G. Deng, J. Liu*, Design of a practical liquid metal cooling device for heat dissipation of high performance CPUs, ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging, 132(3):31009-31014, 2010 (Selected as Journal’s 2010-2011 Best Paper of the Year Award)
27. W. Rao, Z. S. Deng, and J. Liu*, A review of hyperthermia combined with radiotherapy/chemotherapy on malignant tumors, Critical Reviews? in Biomedical Engineering, vol.38, pp.106-116, 2010 (Invited Review).
28. Z. He and J. Liu*, Complex-anisotropy-induced pattern formation in bistable media, Physical Review E, vol.79, 026105, 2009. (Featured in the Web of America Physical Society)
29. S. H. Xiang, J. Liu*, Comprehensive evaluation on the heating capacities of four typical whole body hyperthermia strategies via compartmental model, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer (Invited paper for special issue on bioheat transfer research), vol.51, pp.l5486-5496, 2008.
30. K. Q. Ma, and J. Liu*, Heat-driven liquid metal cooling device for the thermal management of a computer chip, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., vol. 40, pp. 4722–4729, 2007. (Cover Article)